Monday, January 30, 2012

Treasure "Baskets"

    As I found out with my research for this post on a baby's memory, it's necessary to continue to introduce novel items to my little explorer Q-ball (10 months old yesterday!)  Well, despite my best efforts, I started running out of new materials to present in her treasure baskets, and I did not want to go out and buy new items.  So, I decided to present the old, familiar items in a novel way.  Instead of the baskets that I had been using to present her materials, I placed the items in different containers.  It was a huge success!  Not only was Q-ball instantly drawn to the novel containers, the new containers presented all sorts of new sensory exploration, especially for sound and touch.  She was able to discover new ways to manipulate materials she had previously mastered!
The stone and cookie cutter make fun noises on the metal container.

Q-ball enjoyed the ridges on this wooden bowl.

Q-ball liked trying to pick up the pot (it's heavy!) to shake the walnuts.


    I also worked to find ways to make our traditional baskets more novel. As Q-ball is standing up and cruising along the furniture, I placed one of her treasures baskets on top of a table.  She loves to reach up and pull it down!
Montessori Monday

2 comments:

  1. I love these. You're so very creative. It just goes to show that you don't need to spend money at all, or even all that much time, to come up novel and interesting things for babies and toddlers. The world itself is fascinating enough, and if you can isolate a thing or two for them, all the better! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas for treasure baskets! I love your creativity in finding ways to spark new interest in objects you have at home! Thanks so much for linking up with Montessori Monday. I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...